The Big Picture : Collective art work
We would like to thank our sponsors and partners!
About The Big Picture:
The big picture is a collective art project where people in our local area and around the world are collaborating to create a big mosaic picture from thousands of drawings.
This project outlines the connections between individuals from all around the world and can be seen as a giant conversation taking place between all the participants and us through a dynamic and monumental art work.
We are interested in learning more about you: where you are coming from and where you are living now.
But wait, why should I participate?
- We have many plans for the future of the Big Picture art project. Because the project is digital, we will be looking at exhibiting it in art galleries or museums with a mix of printed media and interactive features
- We are collaborating with the Artist Network and they will be the first to reveal the big Picture online once completed.
- We are working with partners like Copic markers, Pan pastels, Speedball and Strathmore paper so we can send monthly prizes to the most interesting contributions.
- We will offer online explorations of the picture based on themes like site seeing, art making, everyday life, inspiration, family, travelling and immigration… We are also thinking about publishing a few books based on those themes.
- This is a unique opportunity to share the life stories that are important to you with a wide audience, you can also participate anonymously if you want to.
Connect with artists from all other the world through a work of art.
We both immigrated from France about 20 years ago. Sophie is from Britany and Sandrine from the Paris area.
We now live on the Canadian West coast in North Vancouver and are surrounded by the beautiful rain forest, it reminds us every day of our strong connection to nature, and inter-dependency with the rest of the world.
Working on this project, we liked the parallel between individuals in a community and trees in a forest and also the idea that we all need to feel rooted in our current location whenever we were born there or not. The mosaic aspect of the final picture reminded us of the mosaic of individual people and their stories that are working together to make up our multi-cultural society.
A bit about you:
We would love to hear from you. We would like to find out what connection you have to Vancouver (see examples of connections here) or what Vancouver evokes to you and give you the opportunity to connect with us through your drawings and your life stories.
What will the project look like?
We are building a big panoramic picture from thousands of little squares that you can design at home and upload on this website. One of the many exciting parts about this project is that you will be able to see a close up of your art and zoom out to see how it fits as a part of the whole, a poetic metaphor of our interconnected existences. You will also be able to see all the individual art squares that are making up the picture and their individual design, who designed them, in what country they were living and also what the drawing is representing for the artist who made it. The final print of the picture will be 2 meters high (6 1/2 feet) and a maximum of 22 meters wide (72 feet)
How to participate:
Participation is open to anyone from everywhere in the world.
Look here for more details about making and sending us your work.
We are encouraging all community groups to join us in the elaboration of this collective art work, please share this opportunity with your friends and family.
I don’t know how to draw!
We want to make this project accessible to everyone and we believe that with a little bit of help everyone can draw.Look at this page to get ideas about how to participate in the project.
We are more interested in your life journey and locations than your skills as a drawer. You will have the opportunity to share a text with your drawing and explain what you represented.
Are you crazy? Why are you doing this?
We believe strongly in the virtues of art as a self-expression and are passionate about bringing the possibility of being part of a work of art to everyone. Yes it is an extremely time consuming project, but if you feel generous and want to give us a small donation, we will gladly accept it!!
You can also drop us a line if you are interested in a partnership or sponsorship with us.